- The CDC relaxed its COVID-19 guidelines, dropping the recommendation that Americans quarantine themselves if they come into close contact with an infected person.
- The Justice Department has asked a court to unseal the search warrant the FBI received before searching the Florida estate of former President Trump, Attorney General Merrick Garland said.
- An armed man approached the visitor screening area at the FBI’s Cincinnati office, fled when confronted by agents and later exchanged gunfire with police.
- After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, the law on abortion in Utah changed three times in five days. But the legal back and forth on abortion has happened in more than a dozen states.
- Facing mounting legal vulnerabilities and considering another presidential run, Trump needs support from the party to maintain his political career. But, whether they like it or not, many in the party also need Trump.
- Donald Trump invoked the Fifth Amendment and wouldn't answer questions under oath in the New York attorney general's long-running civil investigation into his business dealings, the former president said in a statement.
- Wednesday’s ruling did not include a ruling on monetary damages, which will be determined in a future trial.
- The nearly $50 million defamation verdict against Alex Jones for his years of lies about the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre is far from a final reckoning. Here's a look at the fallout.
- A Nebraska woman has been charged with helping her teenage daughter end her pregnancy at about 24 weeks after investigators obtained Facebook messages between the two.
- The number of coronavirus deaths fell by 9% in the last week while new cases remained relatively stable, according to the latest weekly pandemic report released by the World Health Organization.
Latest Connecticut News
Most Read On Courant.com
- Elon Musk has sold nearly $7 billion worth of shares in Tesla as the billionaire gets his finances in order ahead of his court battle with Twitter.
- They say the " Historic Patuxet Homesite,” the portion of the mostly outdoor museum focused on traditional Indigenous life, is inadequately small, in need of repairs and staffed by workers who aren’t from local tribes.
- Fast forward to 2022 and that tutorial proves instructive as another candidate from that election, Donald Trump, is entangled in an FBI probe related to sensitive government documents.
- In his victory speech, Tim Michels promised to focus on jobs and the economy.
Donald Trump says FBI searched Mar-a-Lago estate in major escalation of probe into classified documentsThe search intensifies the months-long probe into how classified documents ended up in boxes of White House records located at Mar-a-Lago earlier this year.
- A grand jury in Mississippi has declined to indict the white woman whose accusation set off the lynching of Black teenager Emmett Till nearly 70 years ago, despite revelations about an unserved arrest warrant and a newly revealed memoir by the woman, a prosecutor said Tuesday.
- President Biden signed a $280 billion bipartisan bill to boost domestic high-tech manufacturing, part of his administration’s push to boost U.S. competitiveness over China.
- The FBI search of former President Trump’s Florida residence has focused attention on an obscure criminal law barring removal of official records. The penalties for breaking that law include disqualification from holding any federal office.
- Issey Miyake, who built one of Japan’s biggest fashion brands and was known for his boldly sculpted pleated pieces as well as former Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ black turtlenecks, has died. He was 84.
- Former President Donald Trump said in a lengthy statement Monday that the FBI was conducting a search of his Mar-a-Lago estate.
Hartford Courant Store
- After losing House Speaker Joe Aresimowicz’s district after he retired in 2020, Berlin and Southington Democrats are looking to a well-known former town manager to get them back in power in November.
- We know bears come for the food and not our company and the problem seems to be growing as more Connecticut residents report issues with the large, clawed animals. Earlier this summer, a bear that broke into multiple homes in Canton was euthanized by DEEP.
Mystic Aquarium president and CEO ending tenure at one of Connecticut’s most popular tourist destinationsGov. Ned Lamont noted in a separate statement that the aquarium is one “of Connecticut’s largest cultural destinations, and its success over the last 16 years is no doubt due in large part to Steve’s leadership.”
GAMES & TRIVIA
- Hartford Public Schools welcomed teachers from Puerto Rico Wednesday as part of the district’s effort to fill vacancies and enhance cultural enrichment through Hartford’s new Paso a Paso Puerto Rico Recruitment Program.
- West Hartford's GastroPark, which has been serving breakfasts and lunches for two years, now is doing weekend brunch.